My little man suffers with a mild case of Eczema, he gets a few red patches on his legs and belly, but the rest of the time his skin can get quite dry all over. One of my biggest regrets so far was not being more careful what I put on his skin from day one, but once I realised that most of the big brand names would aggravate even adult skin I immediately started looking for natural products to use on my precious little monkey.
1. Coconut Oil – I’m well and truly obsessed with Coconut Oil, it’s so good for you and your baby. We use it all around the house now, from using it on LM’s skin, to help banish my post pregnancy stretch marks and even to roast vegetables for LM’s lunch. It’s great on babies bums for bouts of nappy rash, I have mixed a few drops of lavender oil into a jar of coconut oil for his nightly massage and I’ve even rubbed coconut oil onto his gums whilst he’s teething. The best coconut oil to buy is unrefined, raw, virgin and organic.
2. Burt’s Bees Shampoo and Baby Wash – I received a Baby Bee gift set at my baby shower and instantly fell in love with the amazingly scented products. At present I just use the Shampoo and Baby Wash as a little goes a long way and it is better value than the Baby Bath in that respect. I love nothing more than snuggling my little man up in a towel and sniffing his hair after its been washed with this.
3. Weleda Calendula Baby Lotion – Until I discovered this product I was using prescription Doublebase cream on LM when he had a bad flare up of his eczema, and although it worked wonders I was reluctant to keep applying liquid paraffin onto his skin. This lotion is 100% natural and smells lovely and it works to moisturise his stubborn dry areas just as well as the prescription cream.
4. Weleda Calendula Baby Bath Cream – I like putting something in LM’s bath but it became apparent that although some of the gentler bath products that were great at soothing him before bed, they also aggravated his dry skin. We tried using nothing for a while but I wanted to find a natural alternative that would also soothe him after an excitable day. This bath cream fits the bill, it feels quite oily so I know that it is moisturising him rather than drying him out. It sits on top of the water slightly, and turns the water cloudy rather than bubbles. The Calendula soothes his skin and the scent and other natural ingredients help to calm him down after exciting pre-bedtime jumperooing.
5. Waitrose Bottom Butter – This stuff smells incredible!!! And its really versatile, great for soothing and protecting from nappy rash. I’ve also used it on his dry knees and ankles and it softens them up a treat. Also many women seem to have found that it works wonders when used as a face cream, plus for under £3 its a bargain.
Which natural products do you use on your little ones? Are there any remedies that you swear by for eczema or sensitive skin?